Saturday, July 1, 2017

Six Degrees of Separation - From Picnic at Hanging Rock to The Hate Race

The edition in my TBR pile
This month's 6 Degrees of Separation begins with Picnic at Hanging Rock, which celebrates 50 years of publication this year. I suspect it has been continuously in print since it was 'launched' by Sir Robert Menzies in Melbourne in October 1967. It's been years since I read it but it's on my reading calendar this year (I know, the reading calendar is struggling because I'm tempted by other books).

Annabel Smith and Emma Chapman began the 6 Degrees of Separation meme in 2014 and now it is managed (is that the right word?) by Kate at Books are my favourite and best. The idea is that Kate nominates a book and, on the first Saturday of the month, participants reveal chains of six books that all connect in some way. 

Back to Picnic at Hanging Rock - as Whispering Gums says, there are just so many ways you could go. Lost girls, girls named Miranda, rural Victoria, Australian Gothic. I'm choosing to follow the author, Joan Lindsay. Joan was married to Daryl who, as well as running the National Gallery of Victoria for many years, was the brother of Norman.

Norman Lindsay leads me to The Magic Pudding. I managed to avoid The Magic Pudding when I was a child but I did read it to my boy when he was little. It turned out to do a good job of putting us both to sleep. But who can understand Australian politics without understanding the frequent references to 'magic puddings'?

Magic leads me to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling. Well, where else could I go since Harry has just turned 20. I nearly missed the whole Harry Potter thing - being 30 when the first book appeared. But Harry has been a big part of my shared reading and viewing life with my boy so I won't hear any words against him.

I've enjoyed reading JK Rowling post-Harry, especially her Cormoran Strike series which she publishes under the pseudonym of Robert Galbraith. So my next choice is the first Strike novel, The Cuckoo's Calling. If you enjoy Rebus - and love London - I recommend it.

So I could run with pseudonyms (curiously, Joan Lindsay published her first novel under a pseudonym) or London but I'm going to continue with the crime theme, this time set in Paris. This week (at 4am in the morning) I finished reading Cara Black's new novel in her Aimee Leduc series, Murder in Saint-Germain. Black's heroine is a private investigator, with a penchant for second-hand designer clothes, a dog named Miles Davis, and a pink Vespa. Each mystery is set in a different part of Paris. They are also very political.

Politics - and crime too - leads me to another recent read: Colson Whitehead's The Underground Railway. The story of Cora's journey from slavery to freedom is a confronting read. There were times when I really wanted to look away but Cora's journey across America is compelling and Whitehead's imaginative telling helped me to understand why race continues to be so contentious in the United States.

The Hate Race by Maxine Beneba Clarke is the last book on the list today. It's about growing up black, but non-Indigenous, in Australia in the 1980s. It's about the way racism is embedded in our communities, in our schools, the way we don't often see it or the damage that it does. If you haven't read it, do. It made me think deeply about the ways in which my own behaviour is racist - as Oscar Hammerstein wrote, 'you have to be carefully taught'.

From an elite Australian girls school to the western suburbs of Sydney, from an elite Australian artistic family to the cotton fields of the American south, we've been on quite a journey, with a little magic thrown in for good measure.

Next month: Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.